When travelling with kids you need to have a rough itinerary and plan and prepare for to ensure the experience is as stress free as possible. The most important thing is to be realistic of how much time the kids are able to sit travelling. There will be storage limitations remember its a compact self catering apartment on wheels.
Top tips for travelling with kids –
- Do your homework. Research your route so you know where to find good campsites with the amenities you need, for example a laundry, games room or play park.
- Plan a route that involves no more than 2 hours travelling per day. Children want to be out exploring the countryside or enjoying the beaches rather than sitting travelling.
- Think about where you can stop overnight. We personally like to find a wild camp spot or campsite by the beach where we can enjoy a bbq.
- Think about places to visit or possible activities you can stop and do along your route. For example boat tours or wildlife parks which will also break up your traveling time.
Things to consider when packing –
- Don’t over pack remember storage is limited. Campsites have laundry facilities where you can stop every 2nd or 3rd night to wash items through so don’t pack a new outfit for every day.
- Pack a small indoor toy box. Family playing cards like uno or snap, a couple of dvds, pencils and a colouring book.
- When choosing outdoor items be realistic as to where you can store things. Ask if there is a bike rack, think about where to store the large pushchair, would a stroller be more appropriate.
- Dont pack a full weeks worth of groceries. The fridge is not a domestic fridge its always better to support the local economy and buy from the local shops as you travel.
The biggest tip i can give you when travelling is to be flexible and relax embrace the freedom a motorhome allows you, travelling with children can be stressful sometimes but hopefully with careful planning and preparation some of the stress can be alievated.